donderdag 24 april 2008

Daily Inspiration: Hubble Deep Field

Photobucket
(Today's inspiration is slightly different from what you're used to, but nevertheless I think it certainly qualifies)
Ever since I was a little girl I've been fascinated with astronomy. I've always thought that galaxies, nebula's, supernova's and other exotic phenomena were immensely intriguing. And nothing has ever excited me more than learning/discovering something new about the universe, whether it would be the discovery of a new planet, the theories behind quantum physics or the existence of dark matter. Stephen Hawking's book 'a Brief History of Time' is one of my all time favourites and over the last few years I have spend a fair amount of money on books and dvd's about pretty much everything that's even remotely related to astronomy. So I suppose it won't come as too much of a surprise when I tell you that it has always been a dream of mine to study physics.
Unfortunately this dream came to an abrupt end when I first failed a math test. And then another. And another. Later my lack of mathematical skills (they strangely only disappeared during tests and never during classes) prohibited me from getting the grades I needed to be allowed into the physics program, eventhough I was quite good at both physics and chemistry. All this inevitably led me to the conclusion that I would never study physics. Or at least not in the first decade or so. And eventhough I've settled for something 'less' right now and am even rather content with where that has taken me, I never got over my passion for astronomy.
Because of that today's inspiration will be this Hubble deep field shot. I know that seems a bit geeky, but it always inspires me to learn more and it reminds me of what I love the most!

7 opmerkingen:

TheMinx zei

That's really beautiful! I think its most interesting when people are inspired by things other than celebrities or what they see on the runway. The picture is amazing, and it is totally inspiring to see such an expanse of space that holds so many mysteries. Great post!

http://www.cagedwonder.blogspot.com

Lou zei

Een van mijn grootste passies is ook altijd astronomie geweest, ik was er niet zo zeker van 't te gaan studeren aangezien ik al vanaf jongs af aan extreem (extreem!) slecht ben geweest in rekenen (en dus wiskunde), maar nogsteeds is het een grote hobby van me die zo nu en dan heel stevig boven komt drijven. En ik vind het juist heel leuk om je daily inspiration vanuit een andere insteek te zien!
Ik kijk trouwens nu al een tijdje in stilte rond op je blog en ik vind 'm echt erg mooi, een inspiratiebron eigenlijk. Dacht dat het wel eens tijd werd dat te laten weten :)

Lou zei

Oh en je kent de site vast al, maar voor de zekerheid deel ik toch maar even mijn startpagina met je! http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Kirsten M zei

hello again, I like your blog: )I used some pictures in my blog, they were so nice, thank u
Do u live in Amsterdam?
Me and my husband (we got married in den Haag last month) want to know some people in Amsterdam, and maybe exchange apartment or something like that. Do u know about something? We live in a house 1 hour south from Oslo (Norway)

Kimberley Brandsma zei

Wat interessant dat jou astronomie fascineert! Ik vind het ook zeer boeiend maar het is geen passie van mij.;) Ik ben zelf ook niet zo'n ster in wiskunde. Dat is misschien zelfs iets te zacht uitgedrukt. Ik sta nu gemiddeld een vier. 8);)

mmr zei

@the minx: thanks! you're right about the picture, it's the mystery that's fascinating ;)

@tessa milou: dankjewel! leuk trouwens dat je het ook zo interessant vindt, het is altijd fijn om gelijkgestemden te 'ontmoeten' ;) merci voor de site trouwens, ik kende hem wel, maar was hem weer vergeten!

@k. elizabeth: thank you! Unfortunately I do not live in Amsterdam, I live about 250km more south. I don't know that much about home exchange but I'm sure there are more than enough people in amsterdam willing to do so ;)

@heart in a cage: wiskunde is gewoon een belachelijk vak. Mijn probleem was altijd dat ik of gewoon heel goed scoorde en een 9 haalde of het zo slecht deed dat ik niet verder kwam dan een 3. Dan sta je gemiddeld nog wel een 6 maar als je dan voor een natuur en techniek profiel wilt kiezen wordt je een beetje vreemd aangekeken. En terecht haha :p

Kimberley Brandsma zei

Haha ik denk dus precies hetzelfde over wiskunde. Alleen zou ik al dolblij zijn met een 6 gemiddeld.8) Haha ja dat zal wel.:p